Thursday, May 12, 2011

Bible Intake Bob Lowery Style

Bob Lowery's knowledge of the Bible was legendary.  He had an amazing ability to make connections, recall relevant passages, and inquire of the whole counsel of Scripture on almost any issue.  No doubt this was due in part to his great intellect and memory capacity.  But the information he drew upon did not arrive by osmosis.  Dr. Lowery read through the New Testament once a month and through the Old Testament twice a year.  This roughly equates to 5 chapters of Old Testament and 9 chapters of New Testament a day.

Now that my studies at Lincoln Christian University are over, I am going to attempt to take up this rate of Bible intake in my own devotional life.  I am excited to see how this process will shape me and my ministry.  I'll never be a Bob Lowery, but I can be the best Rob Petersen there ever was, and part of doing that is to be someone more heavily invested in the Word than I currently am.

I do not know if this is a pace that I can maintain, but I am willing to try.  If you believe in the formative power of Bible intake, I encourage you to "up the ante" in this area as well.  One of my biggest concerns for today's church is its biblical illiteracy.  If I am going to speak to that issue, I must lead by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment